Saturday 16 September 2017

Almost shot down...yet again

I went to the monthly club night thinking to help Dennis with his ACW naval game but he already had many players for the game.  All the usual hosts had seem to have decided to play and not put on a game!
Had a long conversation with WillB after which joined the WW1 air game.  Oh Late War was it?  With all those DVIIs, SEs and the like.  Oh well, I'll play Allies using my little Pup (very early war British plane).  Severely out classed! However the scenario, as it was, to strafe the German lines.  As usual, the players often ignored this to start shooting at each other. With the "fur-ball" of clashing planes over there, I went the other direction for safety thinking I could get some victory points all alone.
The clash of experienced pilots and power planes which I dutiful avoided!

So slowly moving across the table with my underpowered plane, I dove low and gave a long burst for maximum effect with my meagre one machine gun only to have the darn thing jam! [ yes, my poor die rolling ]. The anti-aircraft fire then riddles my wings and tail with holes and....disables my weapon....
It was considered I would simply fly home. No German could reach me so end of the first flight.
My Pup flying low at '1' level ready for a strafing run.  The six on the nearby dice was not my roll....obviously....

Starting again a turn later,  I fly low and steady only to again suffer heavy flak.  No long-bursts this time - I did not want to suffer jamming again - but with a poor firing rating, I could do little effect.

Not the best of flights but at least this night I was not shot down! :}