So, back to the example, the corps has 8 pips of rolls but, our little black dice are but six-sided so 2 gun models are needed. It is up to the player how to distribute the pips but the usual is probably have 4 MP/pips on each. As "attrition" and enemy damage reduce this number, obviously the efficiency of the artillery will be reduced as it can fire/roll less times.
The one interesting aspect of this new approach is we do not have a need for close range fire rules as there is nothing to suggest a player cannot concentrate all his fire (roll all the dice) against only one target; that target either charging him or at near enough as to have all other target, if available not worthy of the effort. Read: 'grand battery'
Previously with our Order of Battle we fudged much of the deployments as we struggled to keep the overall gun to foot to horse ratios intact. Now we can accurately establish the exact number of MPs needed and thus the number of gun models for each formation and indeed the type - foot or horse - which is the reason of my slight increase in artillery models.
Indeed, if a collector is so inclined, he could now represent that one battery attached to the lone cavalry brigade as a 1 MP gun model. However, should he sustain but one hit, the model must be removed from the table as so that might be a somewhat 'expensive' endeavour. However, even if chosen, the number of rolls does not change regardless of the number of models on the table and is based on historical allocation alone. Very good that and eliminates the guess work for scenario design.
I have been fortunate that these new numbers are not many and so the costs have not been large especially as I have kinda cheated a bit. With a trade with Mike B., and his generosity in giving me some loose figures he had lying about, I cobbled together some of the more unique models.
For the British I needed one more RHA. Mike in our trading, provided 3 previously painted figures but no gun of course. However I do have a love for the delightfully silly Congreve rockets and Winyates' RHA battery of Waterloo fame provided me the excuse to use him as an example for my new model.
The rocket part of each was a cast from unknown origins to which I glued a piece of wire. It really was that small. I repainted the Foundry RHA figures but did no modifications as their poses work and the mere three don't look out of place with the other more populous artillery stands and were free <grin>
The Prussian army of 1815 was an amalgam of the numerous previous states which were under French control or influence many as late as several months before the start of the 100 Days Campaign. The Duchy of Berg merged into the Prussian army with many of their old French style uniforms still worn (the white tunics of the infantry) and the blue and red of the artillery. I had some French style artillery gun models about so I went about heavily modifying some other crew figures I got from Mike B.
The result is the Prussian Horse Battery Nr.20 (ex-Berg) of 1815.
The second Prussian horse battery [Nr 18] is also unique as it is the ex-Russo-German Legion artillery which integrated into the Prussian army in February of 1815 but continued to wear it's Russian/Prussian uniform.
For this unit, I used Old Glory Russian horse artillery figures (surprising that, really...) but need to remove the heads as the RGL used Kivers and not the combed helmets of the Russians. So I used Warlord heads for these. The weird OG poses were bent to show the crew hauling up the gun manually. It works well I think.
Again, the cheap bugger that I am*, the figures were inexpensive (read: free) and the gun, while somewhat inappropriate should some rivet counter come along, is of the Napoleonic era, painted in Prussian blue and so close enough!
*edit: Oh I can afford wargaming. It is, cost to time engaged, an extremely inexpensive hobby but I am trying for low expenditures merely to control my obsessiveness! See, my dear, it is in print....