Monday, 8 December 2014

Pavlovski Grenadiers

The famous Pavlovski grenadiers form my first element of Russian infantry painted.

Could not help myself but to buy the lone pack sitting in the store's new bargain bin.  It is ex-Victrix metal selection.  Discovered upon getting home and, more importantly getting the reading glasses on - getting old just sucks - that they are of the earlier 1805 uniform with waist belt and round backpack.  With the simple thought that the basic uniform is the same -  a Russian is a Russian  - I painted them up nonetheless, adding a Perry officer who, with swinging sword, also serves to fill in the extra gap in the line with the lack of numbers.

The regiment is famous for the continued wearing of the old-fashioned mitre headdress and was an elite unit and in 1813 was elevated to the Russian Imperial Guard.   Officers wore shakos apparently allowing me to use the additional officer figure.



5 comments:

  1. Nicely painted never the less! What green are you using for the Russians, if I may ask?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still using Delta Ceramcoat craft paints. For the Russian I use "Deep River Green" as the base and "Salem Green" for the highlights. While painting vary in the tone and shade of the Russian tunic cloth, from very dark olive green to a pale version, it would seem that the color must have a fair amount of grey within to have that "Russian Look" I believe these two color might well be OOP but a darker green mixed with a light olive and a bit of sandstone might be the trick. IMHO of course. I hate mixing so I am hoping my bottles will last!!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Doug! I still use craft paint too. As the "old" formula Ceramcoat get used up, I switch to Americana brand as much as possible. Some Ceramcoat colors do not have an equivalent color in Americana but many do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bill, according to this conversion chart see:
      http://decoart.com/cgi-bin/ColorConversion.cgi?DeltaCeramcoat

      you can mix in amounts as follows to obtain my highlight color of "Salem Green"

      2 - DAO95 Neutral Grey
      1 - DA116 Deep Teal
      1 - DA158 Antique Teal

      note the amount of "neutral grey" (a sandstone-y grey) in the mix! I wasn't far off in my assessment, I guess.

      Delete
  3. Nice conversion chart and yes you are correct about the grey.

    ReplyDelete