Tuesday, 15 November 2016

"Shogun Era" Japanese Peasants

12 figures.... only 1 point... for my Lion Rampant Japanese Clan.
While I don't really know if doing these 12 figures is worth doing for only the 1 point value for my Lion Rampant games, it was interesting to do nonetheless.  I used one pack each of the Perry peasants advancing and Ikko Ikki (the poses with some armour) .


Most of the spears and weapons supplied I wasn't thrilled about so I replaced some with a sturdy length of steel rod, angled the end to a point and painted as green bamboo. Yes, fresh bamboo would not be a good choice but I take it as an expediency for the poor people of the village and more interesting to paint than plain wood.


I used the smaller 1 and 2 figure basing for this unit feeling it will give a 'closer' feel of the unit portraying the fear which they might have, facing more trained troops --- and make casualty removal that much easier!
  The bases are, again, random shaped to prevent the 'ranked' deployment unlikely for these people.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Well, the cost of two packs of Perry - pretty that they are - is fairly pricey for only 1 point of army, but, hey, who said miniatures wargaming is logical !! 8-))
      thanks for the kind word,
      cheers.

      Delete
  2. Doug,

    Are you saying the peasants are revolting?

    The do look nice though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I am as following the original rules, the rule's author has given the 'serfs' the special factor of "Smelly"
    To quote: "No special rules for this....they just are."
    So if the smell is revolting, I guess they are!
    cheers Bill.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful group of peasants! Nice and dynamic poses, great paintjob and beautiful bases...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Perry boys can be thanked for the first two compliments. I thank you for the latter, kind comments

      Delete
  5. I'm digging your samurai stuff, Doug! It's a great period and your painting is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The era is very much "exotic medieval" and so any scenario of European medievals can be used -- including any of the machinations of the nobility - as it has Men-at-Arms = Samurai, yeomen = ashigaru, and even the simple 'smelly' peasants !
      Thanks for the nice comment
      cheers

      Delete