Tuesday 4 January 2022

the Tower still stands

The first game of the year was a small medieval ‘Lion Rampant’ game with WillB and his young son going against each other defending or attacking the siege cannon firing against my newly painted Tower.  (see my previous post link for its construction)  Hey, I just painted it so OF COURSE it has to be part of the scenario!

I addition to the painting, I added a separate rocky base of insulation foam sheet 

Quickly inventing some quick rules for the guns damage firing at the tower, I thought I had cleverly hidden a small unit of foot knights under the roof but WillB, noticing the slight tilt in the roof ( he is a civil engineer and I never claim to be a precise builder!) adjusted the model only to discover my ruse.  Luckily I made my several activations to have the knights climb down the ladder, over the rocks, and into action but only to have them fail their courage after only one combat and run off into the distance!  

The enemy had already retreated away and then I careless rolled this for their courage!

One of the medieval siege cannon firing on my new tower.  This is a scratch-built affair made from a plastic tube, balsa wood, and brackets of strips of paper.  The barrel, wheel-barrow and chest form the rest of the 6-man crew!

Archers form the main component of my Battle of Crecy era collection

The Dunkurque knights chop into one of the English archer units. A rather unequal affair.

However, Arthur’s steady arrow barrages wore down the Dunkurque Militia of his father and the final cannon’s crew were slaughtered by Arthur’s men-at-arms before the tower could be felled by the cannon shot.