Sunday 18 December 2011

My table filled again

the grand advance of the American forces
For many days my wargaming table was left clear of all terrain and figures.  It seemed very empty and I felt it psychologically.  Of course I did have more pressing items to do but I really did need to fill it.  While my interest wondered to doing a large DBA Zulu battle using 15mms (which I haven't finished painting yet - another time to tell that story), I really did not have the need to place on the table another of my interests so the War of 1812 again occupied the spotlight.

In this case, a ACW scenario by Paul Stephenson for the Battle of Raymond found in an old wargaming magazine (bathroom reading) was the catalyst for the fictional encounter.  I will play it out over the next few weeks. The following are a few pictures (albeit poor) of the game.

The British 8th Foot with the officer trying to read the General's ADC's handwriting...
The U.S. 28th (foreground) and 17th Inf. Regts. moving to the ford on right flank
This engagement is the initiation of the new American limber team. It is modified from the Perry British team (I removed one set of horses/rider to make 3 rather than two teams-otherwise too large in scale for the tabletop I feel).  I removed the British heads and replaced with American ones and trimmed a bit of lace.  Perhaps the Americans would not have the swords but no doubt the regulations would have them, so... The limber is French, the Americans using their model.
the Perry British version (sans one set of horses/rider)
The main British defensive line


  I have the next two weeks off for the holiday break but really intend to work hard in getting lots of painting in for a few fellow wargamers whose work is much over due.  I might just try to get some of my pile done too!