Wednesday, 19 February 2014

Netherland Heavy Cavalry

Representing Tripp's Dutch-Belgian Heavy Cavalry Brigade during the 100 Days Campaign, I completed 2 of the 3 historical regiments, both in plastic. 

While the Perrys metals are outstanding, I decided I had the extra parts to build these unique units from bits.  The basics of horse, rider and arms are French Dragoon.  The Belgian helmet is a French Carabinier with a plume added and I put on modelling putty to approximate the splendid brass lion badge on the front. The often depicted shoulder roll of the Dutch-Belgian horse I added to one of the riders.  The others did not allow a realistic modelling of roll and I did not think I could quite get the sizing the same in any case.


The Dutch regiment has a similar base but uses Austrian officer bicornes, with plumes glued on. I dropped the stand after painting and while all were OK, the one plume went missing. I looked for 10 minutes for the bloody thing and it is still unfound! Never bothered to replace it.  The orange cockade of the Netherlanders was added green stuff.



8 comments:

  1. These are lovely, really like the work you have done to convert these

    Ian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian for the nice comment. I like the modeling aspect of the plastics. Much easier than metal!

      Delete
  2. Great stuff, you are very good with the converting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the vote of confidence. If it were not for the horrific pile of figures I have yet to paint, I might have even considered sculpting on a regular basis. :-)

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you. With only three to do for a cavalry unit, just enough to have fun with it without being tedious.

      Delete
  4. Impressive conversions, Doug. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, do note I did not get too close with the lens, eh? Grin.

      Delete