Saturday 14 April 2018

Fortuitous foot cuirassiers....

The old adage "Stop and smell the roses" tells us that we should appreciate good things which can happen on the way.  It is thus, which for this miniatures wargamer, came to create a unit which I really wanted to build and which happened quite quickly at that.  Let me explain these fortuitous events.

A generous donation of Perry plastic dismounted dragoons added, with the few I had collected,  allowed me to create a nice contingent   (see my post at: link  )

Having just completed this contingent (it was still drying on the painting table!), I was flicking through my reference book and stumbled on an image of a dismounted cuirassier.  I love the look of a French cuirassier - probably developed in my very early years and which sent me in the direction of Napoleonics to begin with - and so I almost contemplated repainting that which I had just done. But reason prevailed.

I was to leave it at that but fate intervened.  Very shortly after, and out of the blue, another wargaming buddy gave me his 8 Perry dismounted dragoons! (Thanks Dave!!)  This would now allow me to create my dream of foot cuirassiers!
The dismounted cuirassiers of the 8th Regiment 

The modelling was not that difficult, being plastics and all. The dragoons lapels were scraped off to produce the cuirassier's single breasted tunic and the helmets could be used with the appropriate paint scheme. However the dragoons arms supplied could not be used being without the necessary fringed epaulettes.  So I used spare cuirassier arms and removed the cuirass frill, for sword in hand, or used spare Victrix arms with the fringed epaulettes and cuff flaps for those troopers not wearing gloves and armed with muskets or carbines; or created them with attached epaulettes as required.  Yeah, OK at three hours it was long but immensely fun (for me it was fun, for others...perhaps not so).  To top it off, in the parts bin I found a cuirassed torso so I would chop one of the walking poses in half to attach the cuirass to the legs leaving in place the tunics turnbacks which fit remarkably well.  I claim to have a steady expert hand in the cutting but probably I was just lucky and thankful the Perrys are very good in keeping all their figures in scale......  Thus I am able to have one of the trooper continue to wear the beautiful armour in all its glory.
the trooper still wearing his cuirass can be seen in the middle of the formation

As my dragoons have red facings, I gave the cuirassiers a contrasting yellow regimental distinction.  The cuff flaps, usually hidden under the large leather gloves, are now on display showing that these foot sloggers are from the 8th regiment.
the group's command is mounted on the right.  The bigger "big man" is the bicorne wearing horseman on the left

Hmm, were the 8th in Russia during the fateful 1812 campaign?  This long invasion of Russia caused such attrition in horseflesh that it was said whole formations became foot bound even before the snows started falling.  This would be the rationale for the cuirassiers ever to contemplate abandoning their mounts in action. (to answer: yes they were and so the setting of any of the games with these blokes)

At this point I don't really have a ruleset in mind for the collection but for most sets one does need command figures so I decided to re-purpose the only plastic General I have for my other Napoleonic collection; itself an conversion by me, and made him my potential overall "Big Man" and his accompanying trooper, as the leader of this cuirassier troop.  As I had, as fortune again would have it, acquired two more cuirass wearing officers in metal recently, these were 'promoted' to Generals to replace the plastic version added to this all-plastic collection. (the unity of grouping and Virgo-ness in me I guess)

Whether I will acquire yet more is for the future; but it is fun to have a very unique collection.