Friday, 6 September 2013

1814 - my version is mud

The 1814 campaign in France was fought in the early months of the year in winter and mud was a common thread. One of more famous Napoleonic paintings highlights these appalling conditions.

 

And thus, I am having this weird compulsion to cover all my models with liberal coatings of simulated mud. So here are a couple of examples of 1814 specific units which I have painted.  I probably could go really nuts with gloss to represent wet mud but have not got up the nerve to try it out.  While great looking on the individual stand, it might look odd on the table (??)
Young Guard artillery of 1814
A second element of Young Guard artillery
Young Guard infantry.



3 comments:

  1. They look great; I think I'd stay away from gloss coating though. Dean

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to try and make tread marks on all my artillery stands, but it ended up being a bit beyond me with the basing material I use (and in 15mm). I think mud is highly appropriate for bases. Having said that, I think you are hitting the right mix of a bit of mud for character without covering up too much of the glorious paint job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DaveB, thank you for your kind comments.
      If you are interested, I use Elmer's Wood Putty (Walnut) out of the tube. It has a toothpaste like consistency and after less than a few minutes (dries quite quickly) one can makes tracks or ruts with an end of a pencil or stick. I use ends of large paint brushes to mottle the putty to give it a more earth-like look covering any troughs made in the spreading process.
      I have used it for 15mm basing also but only in the large areas away from the feet of the 'little' boys. Around the feet and difficult to get to areas I paint green and use glue to flock those areas. The puttied areas give enough look of earthen ground to make a pleasant effect.
      Cheers,
      DougH

      Delete