Sunday, 30 April 2017

Two boats in one....

How to inadvertantly create two boats from one....

Having set about destroying/providing a waterline for a new plastic ship of the line,  I was left with the bottom of the hull.  I stared at this item which was relatively intact. Looks like a ‘long boat’ or ship’s tender does it not, I think to myself.
I tend to get distracted by these little projects, fun that they are.

With strips of styrene to make the rowing benches and rods for the oars glued on and a quick paint job, it looks the part.
Here can be seen the original model and the resultant efforts with some of my 19th Century 15mm Marines for scale comparison.

While it appears to be an optical illusion, the row boat was formerly the keel of the sail ship 


10 comments:

  1. Waste not, want not, Doug. Excellent use of otherwise throw away parts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. I have parts and stuff kept for years. And no, I am NOT a hoarder; just a miniatures wargamer.
      as always,
      ...Doug

      Delete
  2. Once again you show us your amazing repertoire.

    If I may be so bold, what are you doing with the old Airfix Victory models? I ask since I have a boat load of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The plan is to have this new one be a Spanish three-decker vs the existing two-decker as the smaller but slightly better crew British ship to have a "fair fight" of it. I think the scale is perfect to show off the ships without too much space. Not dinky micro-nauts but large enough to have each ship have its own detailing and "personality".
      I only have the two for single ship-vs-ship actions but more would be good as new rule sets are coming out to allow for the fleet action. Although the single actions are very appealing.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Doug, Nice ship's boat. Are you getting in a new period, or is the ship a 'one off'? Be aware that a model fleet of those 'rag-wagons', with all of their ropes and rigging, is guaranteed to drive you crazy!

    Cheers,
    Kevin A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I think a one-off project. I have an existing ship which I cut off a bit more hull to make a two-decker which I will face off with this new three-decker.
      I am actually looking forward to the rigging - probably done incorrectly - but should be 'interesting' to do!

      Delete
  5. What brand is the model ship and what scale Doug?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are Airfix full-hull plastics "HMS Victory" [ IIRC there was a Mayflower and several other display models ]
      Scale: 1:640 -approximately-- the gun deck is 3.5 inches long. It is a one-off by Airfix so all the ships will be exactly the same and VERY simple design. Crude in modelling one might say. I am working hard to lessen the simplicity and the sameness.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the info Doug - I am sure you will be able to pull something out of the bag to create a fleet of ships full of variety!

      Delete