Friday, 11 January 2019

a French unit of the AWI

Left over plastic bits and bobs can be useful, even for the ‘metal’ crowd.  I this case I had years ago built an American Revolution French force for the siege of Savannah in 1779.  I had moved away from that project but had one last unit primed and ready to paint.  But with sprue full of extra Zulu (read: negro) plastic heads available I was now able to create the rarely seen Chasseurs-Voluntaires de Saint-Domingue which played a role covering the French re-embarkment.

Clipping off the metal hats, then heads, of the Front Rank figures, I inserted the plastic heads. I wanted some variety from the identical heads so did not try to be too exact in the cuts.  In hindsight I probably should have done a more identical approach as the other Front Rank French have a straight ahead, ‘no-neck’ look to them.  I guess I have been influenced by the more recent ‘realistically proportioned’ renderings than the style of the decades old “thick and squat” sculpting style epitomized by old Front Rank poses.

As you can see, I took the photo shortly after gluing but before adding a black undercoat so the work can be better seen.  I will eventually get to them but no real rush as they have currently no opponent to battle with!

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Negro troops within European armies are fairly rare so will be interesting to complete.

      Delete
  2. Nice conversions, Doug. Mixing plastics with metals - borderline blasphemy! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, mixing of the religions certainly....

      Delete
  3. Love a good conversion.
    (Even better if some blasphemy is involved!! :) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Front Rank heads, especially those of the older models, seem a bit oversized so the figures look a bit better with a slightly smaller head attached...blasphemous as that may be.....

      Delete