Thursday 15 March 2012

The Canadian Volunteers, a follow-up

While I have been busy with gaming stuff, work has been foremost on my agenda lately so I have slow to post.

A fellow War of 1812 gamer had asked a uniform question and noted photos of reenactment groups.  I must admit that I tend to ignore the reenactment side of military study as source of reliable information.  Obviously some are much better at accuracy than others.

So you can take whatever you like from the following photo of a group showing what is obviously the "Canadian Volunteers" erst-while traitors, who fought with the American forces.  I have previously described their costume (see: link). The following photo shows the group wearing grey coatees with white pants and the green scarfs around the hat band with white cockades.

 I do not know the details of the photo, but it does suspiciously appear that perhaps some of the boys have removed their shakos, doffed the round hats and moved to the rear of the column, to play the part?

 However the unit, albeit small at ~50 strong, did play its part in the Niagara campaigns and so I might just model it and this way is a good as any.