Monday, 8 October 2012

Rebasing of the War of 1812

A rather old report admittedly, but I changed the basing of my War of 1812 collection a few years ago from thin irregular shaped stands to thick square bases.  Originally I believed that the irregular shaped bases 'blended' into the table top making the stands less obvious and showing the miniatures in a natural environment.  However, I had based up some AWI French to match Kevin's style and found, after much musing, why I would like those rather than the 1812 versions I placed beside them?  Well, I guess it was the uniformity of shape and the very thickness of the MDF laser cut wood. 

Darn.  Now I would need to re-base literally hundreds of stands.   And I needed to order hundreds. Bugger. But for the most part I could, with minimal trimming  put the 1.5 inch stands onto the new 40mm squares.  It took a good long time but I think the effort was worth my new affinity for this collection.

Obviously I like thick bases, some don't.  But in the end it is but one's own hobby and the gain we get from what we like.

Here are the before, during, and after photos from doing one of the units. 


Admittedly these photos of these Upper Canadian Militia were taken on a rather bright greenish cloth which forms my on-the-dining-room-table protection than the matching terrain mat I have on the gaming table but one's units could be plunked down on any various terrain so the effect should be the same.

4 comments:

  1. Great blog DougH,

    Is there any chance of a close up of the Upper Canadian Militia shown in this post? I'm curious to know how and why you've based the units as you have.

    Kind regards,
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matt,
      I base virtually all my 28mm the same way. You find examples throughout the blog. I glue down the figure onto the stand, use a pre-colored wood putty to create the ground. This putty hardens and as a solid color all the way through so does not show white if chipped as would painted dry-wall mix (Spackle) that some use. I glue on rocks, fallen tree branches and lichen [the real stuff - it grows around these here parts, looks very natural (you would hope) and does not dry out] I finish with flocking to match the tabletop to portray any vegetation and grass of the ground. Gives the woodland look of eastern Canada perhaps. My French and Indian War stands have even more vegetation glue upon them. I use no fallen timber for my terrained bases of the European troop stands of my Napoleonic collection however.

      The why? Well probably because to my eye it looks good? Tight together but not too tight and still representational of the formations of the time.

      cheers,
      ....DougH

      Delete
  2. Nice work and I like the unevenness of the bases as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks DougH,

    Looking forward to seeing more of the same.

    ReplyDelete