Tuesday, 1 April 2014

The paper buildings of Waterloo

With perhaps the same construction techniques as the contractors of new homes,  I went about building more of the paper buildings needed for my 100 Days Campaign project.
Actually paper buildings do have an advantage of weight, which for me was their primary attribute but also of being "painted"  or almost so. Yes the edging needed some touch up but easy enough.

While I have some ten of these Belgian/French farmhouse complexes to represent the many villages fought over in Napoleonic battles, the Waterloo specific ones are, of course, Hougomont which I completed previously, La Haye Sainte  and La Belle Alliance hotel, from which Blucher named the battle, and Fischermont on the Allies left flank.


LHS is cut down from the original as even scaled to 15mm, had too large a footprint on the table.  While all the buildings still do, they were an important part of the Battle of Waterloo and hopefully look good on the table. 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you. My Waterloo project is coming along. The buildings are a large part of the terrain. I have other building complexes for any fictional campaign battles which I might have.
      cheers

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. And built, seemingly, in the same manner as housing in this region of the world ! LOL
      take care

      Delete
  3. Very nice, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they will do their part on the tabletop. The painting of the fold lines and the base terrain helps in this regard.
      Thanks for the kind comment.

      Delete
  4. Excellent work. I tried paper buildings only once with some buildings from a German company (whose name escapes me) but found them to be more work than I expected. After seeing what you have done with them, I may give it another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On closer inspection, my buildings will not be candidates for Architectural Digest.

      Construction is more error than trial, and some of the walls are less than straight which one frets over as they are built. But once all done with terrain and touch-up no one seems to notice once on the tabletop, they are functional, and very light weight to carry. That is really all I want from them.
      cheers,
      DougH

      cheers,

      Delete