Tuesday 8 March 2016

Not quite the Borodino Church...

Along with all the painting, I decided on making models of the villages in the battlefield of Borodino ( Bo-rrrrod-knee-o) rather than again constructing paper models. Almost as light, and I could not find any paper buildings I really liked and.... I had this dome...

Let me explain.  About 30 years ago, the vodka maker Smirnoff added for promotion a large plastic Christmas ornament to the top of their bottles in a shape of a onion shaped Orthodox church roof top.  Very cool.  I have kept the thing throughout all my moves, knowing one day I would make a church for it.  Romantic, no?  ( hey, who ever said "wargamer crazy" please refrain from further comments please!)

 I am so far enjoying the building.  My wife says, "Why not a real fence, then if you like building out of wood so much? ".   But she obviously does not know how I go about making these models.  No plans or even thought to it.  Just a few pictures for inspiration and a whole lot of improvisation along the way.  I use many thoughts like: "hmm, if I just fit in another half piece" or "Oops, I guess I'll need to cover that gap by gluing in a extra length" using whatever pieces and foam core sheets and bits I have.

a picture of the early work:
Obviously no architectural engineers were employed. With foam core walls, tongue depressor roof, and an empty toilet paper roll holding up the dome you understand why......

The famous church at Borodino is a fine example of Russian Orthodox Church architecture.  But this ain't it.... but I plan to use it to represent the village of Borodino in our upcoming game when though it is vastly oversized for the battlefield/gametable scale.

Again I must insist that all architects, structural engineers, construction contractors, historical designers and all real builders among you, do not comment or even breath heavily through your nose about the rather dubious style of the model please.  ( that includes you in the back row looking mournfully at the blueprints )

stage two of construction:
Overhang roof and some siding still to be added. 

stage three of the construction:
These few railing columns I have had for over thirty years!   I just knew I would have the perfect use for them someday.....



final primer before painting: