Sunday 13 February 2022

The French in Algeria c.1834

 French involvement in Algeria c.1834

I love the image on the right.  I added the red trousers from the more formal dress, as seen on the left hand figures. 

Ever since I looked at this image, I saw the potential in the Victrix plastic Napoleonic Guardsmen with their overcoats.  The red trousers are a great look.  But at the time, I dutifully employed those I did have, in the various napoleonic units I needed to create.  Then there was a sale at the local hobby store and the big old box of Victrix Guardsmen were still there, buried, and still at the old low price.  I could not resist!  


The rear of the 'African caps' used at this early date in Algeria. With muskets and looking very Napoleonic still. The start of use of the bulky packs worn in the campaigns of North Africa can be seen. 'Green Stuff' rolls were added. Some modifications to the equipment was done but the figures as is were quite appropriate for 1834.

The headdress is the “African cap” which would eventually be reduced in size and transformed into the famous kepi; but at this early date, the French were still experimenting on the military headdress to be worn as the traditional leather or felt shako was too hot and unsuitable to the environment of North Africa.  I created the 'African caps' from the Perry late Napoleonic French hussar shakos (the Rouleau) with the back leather flap the distinctive feature.  The pompons and cockades were removed and a button of the ‘African cap’ was added on the top. I must admit that I added the folds by paint only….

I picked this earlier era, as by 1840 the French in North Africa had taken to place ammunition pouches on a front waist, so these figures would not be appropriate.

Line Infantry in Algeria 1833. An 'interesting'  experiment in cap design by the regiment on the right.  These experiments were seen very early in the North African campaigns. The tincture of this plate over-lightens the intended grey too blue, but the pack was inspirational. 

Note the white/blue striped roll on the backpack. I found some plastic ones that look the part with paint

But alas, once again,  I have done a force without an opposition for them.  Perhaps I will obtain some Algerians of this earlier era of colonialism at some date, but first I will probably add the Zouaves to bulk up the French presence.


During this era the armaments of the French and locals were not all that dissimilar so battle would not be the usual one-sided colonial actions of the later part of the century.  Reading the military histories, the fights were quite intense.