Monday, 29 June 2015

Like a house on fire

Napoleonic warfare had more than its share of town fighting and many of the major battles these were a focal point in the action.  The vivid descriptions of fire, smoke and carnage are abound in battle histories with the phrase"charred remains" somewhere in the final chapter.

Up to this point, we have not dealt with fire and its effects in the rules.  For fun, however, I quickly and without very much effort into them, made a few "the roof on fire" markers using thin black card - from product packaging -  and dyed wool probably designed for burning tank wrecks, and creasing the card in half, these can be placed on the roofs and look OK I think.


When showing these to the boys, immediately the discussion moved to how the rules could be changed/ added to employ these new markers.  Again I kinda put the cart before the horse.  However none of the proposed ideas grabbed me and so I will not complicate the rules with the addition of fire to the combat.  Might still place these on the buildings for fun!

11 comments:

  1. Doug, they look good! The black card background definitely adds to the look.

    We call the dyed wool "Clown Hair".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clown Hair! LOL So true!
      While not exactly convincing, it is good representation of fire (very hard to model in any event)

      take care,
      DougH

      Delete
  2. Looks good...and impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and with me burning down the house...
      Thanks Phil.

      Delete
  3. Nice looking fire markers - maybe add some with smoke; smoke definitely would affect visibility/LOS - as many rules already take into account. Fire - the only rules I used with fire would be the effect on the models they were burning - friendlies could attempt to put the fire out too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dean, in a mere few words you brought up four rules issues which could be elaborated upon! When I brought these out to show, the boys immediately got into the talk of how fire would affect town fighting. It was concluded that both sides would be affect and thus would negate the other! -grin-

      I think town fighting is murderous enough as written so no need to expand and complicate the rules to account for it. I may place them for the visual effect nonetheless should the fighting, um, 'heat up'.

      cheers
      ...DougH

      Delete
  4. Good idea to mount on bent black card.

    The rules I use can have artillery casuing a fire and then there are rules for putting it out and its effect (troops having to leave building). Never used them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps it was card before the house in this case Doug? (droll, I know!)
    The marker looks fabulous! I much prefer it to the manufactured plastic ones that I have seen featured. These latter look good, but yours is far more 'effulgent'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and cheaper.....

      the "card before the house" -- good one, James!

      Delete
  6. Nicely done and the black card makes the fire look like it's coming through the roof. Permission to nick this effect, Sah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, the black card is the key to the effect. I while I could not try it on account that I can not currently find my left-over roofing paper pieces ( the buildings being of paper) I would suspect that if one would attach random placed bits of the matching roofing strategically upon the black card, it would enhance the look of the roof being burnt through.
    and yes, this is the internet, but so very polite of you to ask for permission while nicking it nonetheless. -grin-

    ReplyDelete