Monday, 15 June 2015

The "African Queen" - ish

Once again a sale item gets me into trouble.  Well "wargamer trouble" I should say.  This trouble is generally not bad but perhaps troublesome is a better word.  Troublesome because phrases are uttered such as  "Hmm, I could do a campaign if I get another 200 figures", or "Perhaps if I just....."

This is what I was thinking as I bought this "African Queen" style boat at the Bring and Buy for a very small amount.  Can't help myself.  But what to use it for??

So it lingered in one of the boxes for a couple of years until the other day I found it and had a look.  It is made of a simple MDF bottom and styrene sides cut not particularly straight, a thick wood canopy and steering rudder with a wooden stir stick roof.  The open engine is of wooden thread dowels and a plastic straw!

I had a separate group of sailors (Foundry for Crimea era, I think) painted but not based.  Reason?  Unknown.  They are mine but when painted?  Apparently years ago.  Anyway,  I just used small bits of card for their bases painting and giving those a wash to match the existing the wood decking.  The boat got a bit of a clean up adding a couple of barrels and the boilers were given a bit of rust for effect.

The actual interest into the boat was the discovery of primered Foundry Napoleonic sailors.  These were in fighting mode holding swords and pistols.  I have done sailors already with Brigade Games types but the two do not match well.  With the thought to crew my "African Queen" , I cut off hands holding swords and replaced with plastic ones, trimming remaining hands holding belaying pins which cannot be cutoff into tool-like shapes.   One of them I cut off the head as the hat seemed a little too Napoleonic and replaced by a French fusilier forage cap appropriately trimmed of the piping lace but now nondescript!  Hopefully all are looking mid-19th C. to go along with the rather crude steam engine.

Now I have the crew and armed sailors ready for action up a river.  Which river and against whom is unknown.  I am happy with my little endevour but have no plans for a campaign with them....yet....

10 comments:

  1. Run a skirmish game where these guys are facing off vs natives. You are trying to capture pillage/treasure/whatever tokens and make it back to the boat. The natives continue to get reinforcements as the game continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool B&B find, Doug. The boiler is ingeniously constructed! Some talented folks in the community. BTW, you only need a suitable Rosie figure (make sure she looks like Hepburn) and a few dozen Colonial Germans and Askari. Oh, and here's your chance to paint up some hippos too - if you haven't already. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is interesting that given a boat, some boys of the mid 19th C. and we think 'Dark Africa'...

      I was musing that I could have a individual Royal Navy ship launch a cutter up one of the rivers of the local Northwest region perhaps up the Columbia River sparking a war with the U.S..... Yeah, that could work. Now for early Civil War figures. Where is my Perry catalog? -grin-

      Delete
    2. There are hippos in the Columbia? Awesome! or sturgeon ;)

      Delete
  3. Pulp Alley has a free set of rules that could give you a 'taste' of their pulp stuff, your boat and crew form one 'league' already.

    Then you could use almost any other 19th or early 20th century stuff to go with them.

    http://pulpalley.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pulp alley is a very fun game. I've had a chance to play once or twice.

      Delete
    2. Hmm, pulp-py rules. Who woulda thunk?

      However the boat is not at the 'head of the column' just yet in terms of my efforts. With so many different eras and projects created over the many years I am trying to stay on course to as few as possible. Not easy given the fun things to do on each --- as the work on this boat had proven.....

      Thanks for the imput
      cheers

      Delete
  4. Beautiful boat, terrain and figures...good luck to the armed sailors and crew for your adventures!

    ReplyDelete